Action Figure Blues Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:53:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

AFB TALKBACK: Kotobukiya Marvel & DC Bishoujo Series: added Black Cat

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFB TALKBACK: Kotobukiya Marvel & DC Bishoujo Series: added Black Cat  (Read 6405 times)
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 04:00:36 pm »

No psychic knife for Psylocke? It always annoys me when they do toys/statues and she has no psychic knife. These are solid plastic staues, not ceramic right?

Psylocke is one of the best they've done and I agree she should have a psychic knife too.
Regarding ceramic statues, I don't think any of them are actually ceramic anymore. Most are 'polystone' which is a fancy word for 'room temperature cooling resin' I believe.
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:23 pm »

The Bishoujo series are PVC - very light and pretty unbreakable!

DCD tends to use cold cast porcelain for their statues, while Sideshow is polystone, and I can't think what Bowen uses off the top of my head.
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »

DCD tends to use cold cast porcelain for their statues, while Sideshow is polystone, and I can't think what Bowen uses off the top of my head.

Bowen also uses 'Cold Cast Porcelain'.....which is basically resin with porcelain powder added.
'Polystone' on the other hand is.....still just resin......just with powdered stone added to give it weight and strength.

Don't say you don't learn nuthin'
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 05:02:30 am »

Bowen also uses 'Cold Cast Porcelain'.....which is basically resin with porcelain powder added.
'Polystone' on the other hand is.....still just resin......just with powdered stone added to give it weight and strength.

I suspected it was much of a muchness, but those terms sound impressive anyway!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Tallestblue
Mint on Card

QC: 25

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 08:42:21 am »

I suspected it was much of a muchness, but those terms sound impressive anyway!

I like the idea of Solid Plastic statues as opposed to polystone/cold cast resin. Less breakage that way.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 05:07:39 pm »

I like the idea of Solid Plastic statues as opposed to polystone/cold cast resin. Less breakage that way.

Polystone is supposed to be the best of the three for capturing fine detail, but is also the heaviest. That said, my Bowen Hulk is a heavy dude. As far as breakages go, I've got dozens of statues and the only breaks I've had have been Judge Dredd's 'baton' and my DCD Batwoman's 'batarang'.
Report Spam   Logged

Tallestblue
Mint on Card

QC: 25

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 04:21:12 am »

Polystone is supposed to be the best of the three for capturing fine detail, but is also the heaviest. That said, my Bowen Hulk is a heavy dude. As far as breakages go, I've got dozens of statues and the only breaks I've had have been Judge Dredd's 'baton' and my DCD Batwoman's 'batarang'.

Broken anything annoys the hell out of me. Especially if it's an expensive toy. (I'm still in anger management therapy after My Masterpiece Voltron got broke.)
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 04:35:26 am »

Statue breakages scare me. I haven't experienced it yet. You'll probably hear the sobs when I do.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:13 am »

The Batwoman mini-bust isn't obvious at all, but she sits at the back of the girls anyway. Dredd's baton on the other hand has been broken twice. Once above the handle and once below....
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:22 am »

I'm back to Kotobukiya land with the latest entry in the Marvel Bishoujo Statue series, Emma Frost, and the first in the DVC Bishoujo series, Batgirl. Interesting to see how the first DC version has shaped up!

http://www.actionfigureblues.com/2011/01/ladies-of-two-worlds-kotobukiya-emma.html

Enjoy

Andy
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:37:41 am by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

ryanlb
Limited Edition

QC: 30

My life is so much more interesting inside my head

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 11:05:25 am »

I've been lusting after that Emma bishoujo since the concept art was released, there was an auction ending last night with no bids at $40 shipped, so I did a quick look for reviews, saw your post and bought it.

It's a little more than I was hoping to pay, but the two Ame-Comi's I wanted the most I hesitated on at $30-$40, and now Batgirl vs sells for $80-ish, and Wonder Woman v1 for over $100.  Crap on a stick I want those, but I can't afford that (hey, if anyone wants to part with theirs...)

Anyway, I like the look of the Bishoujo line as well, really looking forward to receiving Emma Frost, but I doubt I'll get many more of these, partly due to my lesser fan-ship of Marvel, and partly because my wife isn't fond of too many sexy toys (or especially cleavage-y items) in my collection.  Also, they're kinda pricey, but I'll try and get a couple more here and there, definitely keeping watch on the DC side of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 07:26:42 am »

Next up in the Koto Marvel Bishoujo Series is Black Cat. She's a lovely looking statue with a couple of concerns that I hope are one-offs in this line.

Check it all out at http://www.actionfigureblues.com/2011/05/black-cat-crosses-kotobukiya-path.html

Let me know what you think!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:32:17 am by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 05:54:14 am »

Not my style but they are definitely fun pieces.I don't mind the leaping style of pose but they probably could have come up with a more discreet way to mount it.Still,congrats mate.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
guest66
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:22 am »

You might get in trouble with some fetish types for saying you approve of the wrinkles in the costume if the Janet Van Dyne statue "debate" was anything to go by. I don't mind the base, it could have been better (Black Spidey Mask), but it's able to be put out of sight if you raise it up.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure