Action Figure Blues Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:06:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

AFB TALKBACK: Retro Action DC Heroes Green Arrow

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFB TALKBACK: Retro Action DC Heroes Green Arrow  (Read 2108 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:19:43 am »

Mattel is bring the Mego Sexy Back!

http://www.actionfigureblues.com/2010/02/blast-from-past-made-in-present_10.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:21:52 am by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ryanlb
Limited Edition

QC: 30

My life is so much more interesting inside my head

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:13:38 am »

Yeah, I don't like these at all.

I don't like the retro feel of the card, I don't like the chunky retro look of the figure.  I'm wise enough to realize the good old days weren't that good, and toys are much better now than they ever were when I was a kid.  I know lots of people are obsessed with having the toys of their childhood, but I have no desire to have a Vintage Star Wars collection, or a Super Powers collection, or a MOTU collection.  I much prefer the modern, bigger, better, prettier toys.
Report Spam   Logged

chopa
Chase Figure

QC: 34

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:58:33 pm »

I get what you're saying ryanlb, but nostalgia is still a huge draw for a lot of my collecting purposes. Like a month and a half ago I picked up a bunch of snailiens, and bunch of big dopey rubber guys with snap on armor. Terrible by todays standards but I wanted them so much as a lad.

That said Mego figs are way too before my time for me to "get" them. I do wish they had more of those hilarious mittens for gloves however.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:45:21 pm »

I don't like the retro feel of the card, I don't like the chunky retro look of the figure.  I'm wise enough to realize the good old days weren't that good, and toys are much better now than they ever were when I was a kid.  I know lots of people are obsessed with having the toys of their childhood, but I have no desire to have a Vintage Star Wars collection, or a Super Powers collection, or a MOTU collection.  I much prefer the modern, bigger, better, prettier toys.

Well, we all collect for different reasons I guess. At the end of the day it's about what appeals to the individual. Good thing there's a diverse range of product out there for our diverse tastes!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
demoncat4
Chase Figure

QC: 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

Never cared for the original ones due to their size and the costumes were a pain to keep clean. though to each his own one collects what one likes. and hope the line lasts a long time and Mattel gives some characters the Mego treatment who never got it or were going to be considered for the original line and never got the chance.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:52 am »

I really like the look and feel but it falls into the "I would if I didn't get so much other crap" category.
One thing is for sure, there must be literally dozens more product out there for us than there was 30 years ago.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:01:43 am »

Well i AM old enough to remember the originals and owned quite a few of them back then.There wasn't a lot of options in that era for Hero Toys and the fact Megos covered multiple licences was aces.
I think they have been reproduced very well from the Cards to the figs themselves and i applaud Mattel for doing this line.Saying that,and taking into account i have great memories of them all,i feel no need to add them to my collection now.But i know these will do well!
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
ryanlb
Limited Edition

QC: 30

My life is so much more interesting inside my head

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »

Well, we all collect for different reasons I guess. At the end of the day it's about what appeals to the individual. Good thing there's a diverse range of product out there for our diverse tastes!

And there really is a HUGE range of products.  I'm just not that nostalgic about my old toys.  I only ever had one vintage Star Wars figure (Squid-head), we only had a couple Transformers and Super Powers figures (Superman, Firestorm, Robo-Mantis and Aquaman - and I was pretty excited for those last three), and I don't need to have them if I can have new better versions.  And I've so far been able to make myself not even touch TF.  Until I can find the Masterpiece Skywarp for $20.

And sometimes you can even get modern and retro figures at the same time.  I'm glad NECA did the TMNT figures last year, but I also saw in stores straight up reissues of the old turtles figures based on the cartoons, the ones I had as a kid.  I was even going to buy Leonardo, because it was the one I always wanted when I was a kid, but I found the NECA version first, and after paying $20 for that I didn't need any more Turtles toys.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 03:36:30 pm »

Those NECA Turtles based on the Eastman & Laird look were brilliant. I picked up the boxed set.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyroc
Limited Edition

QC: 32

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

The retro figures are cool. I had a whole bunch thanks to my Uncle only being a few years older than me, so I got his hand me downs.

I remember my favourites being Green Arrow and Aquaman as a kid.

I remember going into a toy shop in Hong Kong when I was 7 and they had wall to wall Mego toys including a Spider Man with rope climb action. My Granma bought one for me but broke within 2 days.

Wouldn't mind picking up a few for nostalgia's sake. Depending on price.

I also remember having the Mego Fonz figure from Happy Days, he had a trigger in his back so he could give you the thumbs up! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:34:37 am »

Those NECA Turtles based on the Eastman & Laird look were brilliant. I picked up the boxed set.

Agreed. In a lot of ways these are the best looking figures I own, and I'm pissed off they haven't released that second wave.
Report Spam   Logged
chopa
Chase Figure

QC: 34

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »

I'm pissed how hard they are to find right now.
Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 02:42:33 am »

Agreed. In a lot of ways these are the best looking figures I own, and I'm pissed off they haven't released that second wave.

Yeah, we got April, but no Casey or Shredder  Sad

I'm pissed how hard they are to find right now.

Seems to be a common theme with NECA stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

demoncat4
Chase Figure

QC: 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »

yes for Neca stuff seems to once out goes flying off shelves and becomes hard to find afterwards though the only Neca piece i own is  their big V for  Vendetta  .Neca stuff seems to be one of those you see it then it is gone fast. companies. and Mattel seems to be doing that with the new Mego line.
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 03:46:42 am »

Yeah, we got April, but no Casey or Shredder  Sad

Don't forget Foot Soldiers  Angry

Also, the Shaw Bros figures, that looked like they would have had similar articulation. Fuckers.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure