Action Figure Blues Forum
December 15, 2019, 11:09:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a fan of AFB on Facebook? If not, sign up here: http://www.facebook.com/actionfigureblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Scale Fail Poll

Poll
Question: What are your Top Five Scale Fails in Superhero Action Figure History?  (Voting closed: February 21, 2009, 05:27:04 pm)
DCD Justice Series - 6 (10.5%)
DCD Long Halloween Robin - 1 (1.8%)
DCUC Big Barda - 2 (3.5%)
DCUC Lobo - 1 (1.8%)
DST ST:TNG Data & Geordi - 0 (0%)
DCD Knightfall (Catwoman etc.) - 6 (10.5%)
DCD JLA Series 2 (Firestorm etc) - 3 (5.3%)
Movie Masters Waves 1 & 2 Batman - 3 (5.3%)
DCD Showcase Presents (Batgirl etc) - 4 (7%)
DCSH Doomsday - 3 (5.3%)
DCD McG Hawkman - 8 (14%)
DCD JSA GA Atoms - 6 (10.5%)
DCUC Robin & Kid Flash - 0 (0%)
DCUC Sinestro - 6 (10.5%)
Marvel Legends Bishop - 1 (1.8%)
Marvel Legends / Select incompatibility - 2 (3.5%)
DCD COIE Batman - 3 (5.3%)
Marvel Legends Tarantula - 0 (0%)
DCD Teen Titans Deathstroke I - 2 (3.5%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scale Fail Poll  (Read 2328 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 340

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:04 pm »

Okay folks, here's the Official AFB Scale Fail Poll! You can make 5 selections, so think carefully about which 5 of the above bug you the most. This is going towards an article I'll be working on shortly. You can change your vote up until it closes in 5 days time.

Just a reminder that these are not all my opinions but rather many suggested to me through various threads at different forums, so while you're free to argue the toss about whether or not one of the above figures is actually a scale fail, you may not really be arguing with me.  Grin

Thanks for your help!

Andy
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:38:44 pm by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »

And once you've voted, why not share your reasons?  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
randyp
Pegwarmer

QC: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »

Once the scale can of worms was open by DCD it all turned to crap for DCD. There should have only been one scale from beginning to the end, and if other companies would have followed suit, we would never be having these discussions. Mattel, Marvel, DCD, McFarlane Neca, all in the same scale. DCD could have set a standard, but just threw it all to the wind. How hard would it have been to set a scale and stay with it unless it warranted a larger or smaller scale? Oh what could have been.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:30:57 pm by randyp » Report Spam   Logged
Xander
Variant

QC: 8

I dig puppets...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:29:37 pm »

At first I couldn't pick one and then I realized I had up to five choices! Cheesy

DCUC Sinestro...  There's no reason he should be so screwed on the scale chart.  They made a brand new body for him and then seemed to go out of their way to make him too short!  

COIE Batman...I wish I could say scale was the only problem here.  I was REALLY looking forward to this figure like no other, but damn...  He's obviously too tall and seems to be scaled perfectly for the Knightfall series, which makes no sense here.  But the lack of a balljoint neck really hurt this guy even more and then there's the lackluster headsculpt with the super tiny eyes... Shocked

The JLA Satelite wave with Firestorm and Atom and Adam Strange didn't effect me much at first, but those were some beautifully sculpted figures but much too big to really fit with any of the prior Satelite era guys.  They towered over BA Hal and Ollie and the screaming Dinah Lance.  Seems to me this was about the time Brwer came out and declared that all figures were scled off the Modern Superman... But we pretty much knew that couldn't be accurate.
Report Spam   Logged

randyp
Pegwarmer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »

"COIE Batman...I wish I could say scale was the only problem here.  I was REALLY looking forward to this figure like no other, but damn...  He's obviously too tall and seems to be scaled perfectly for the Knightfall series, which makes no sense here.  But the lack of a balljoint neck really hurt this guy even more and then there's the lackluster headsculpt with the super tiny eyes... Shocked

The JLA Satelite wave with Firestorm and Atom and Adam Strange"

You nailed it here, I think these were the ones that got it rolling down hill for DCD.
I was so upset with DCD when they finally did a Knightfall Nightwing I wanted and THE Catwoman, and they were giants among giants.
JLA were stunning. The Best Adam Strange, and he was out of scale. How George B doesn't see this or care is still a wonder.
I keep waiting for DCD to figure out the scale issues and fix them, and what do they do to fix them, they get bigger!
Report Spam   Logged
Mister Sinister
Pegwarmer

QC: 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:33 pm »

I chose;

DCUC Lobo - I was just so disappointed when I got him, it's like he's in a completely different than the rest of the DCUC figures.

DCD JLA Series 2 (Firestorm etc) - Firestorm was one of my most wanted all-time figures.  His sculpt looked awesome in the previews.  Then when I got him and stood him up with the rest of my JLA, he towered over them!

DCD McG Hawkman - The only figure on my list here that I did not buy.  I wanted to badly, I loved the story and he came with the glove of Horus.  He was just too huge, actually ridiculously, compared to the other figures in the same wave.

DCUC Sinestro - humorously tiny.

DCD COIE Batman - I really wanted to like this figure, an Adams/Aparo mix, but it was a major fail.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:49:58 pm »

To be fair, Mattel admitted Sinestro was a production issue. Still, he's pretty disappointing.

JLA Series 2 stand out to me because it wasn't even in scale with the previous Series. That Firestorm is a thing of beauty but he's just too damn big.

The difference I see is that Mattel responds to our concerns about scale (at least acknowledging it) whereas DCD has basically ignored it and us.

I agree, randy, what could have been.

Oh, and welcome randyp and Xander!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rexmason
Pegwarmer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00:42 pm »

Scale doesn't normally bother me too much, unless it looks really wonky on my shelf.  Case in point:  JSA Atoms.  These guys are in a scale unto themselves and look pretty odd with the other Society members.

Knightfall Catwoman also bothers me as she towers above everybody.  Place her by Long Halloween Catwoman if you want a laugh.

I also voted for the Justice figures because I would have liked to mingle several of them with my standard collection (Green Arrow, Hawkman), but they just look way too big.  Plastic Man, Zatanna and Black Canary are the only ones I can really sneak into my regular DCD lineups.

JLA doesn't bother me that much, as Firestorm could be taller than the others in my mind.  He is two guys in one, after all.  And the Atom should fit in the modern scale, rather than the silver age, because in the old comics, when he'd grow to full size, his costume would disappear.  To me, the Atom is the best of both worlds, because we got two smaller figures that work perfectly with classic JLA displays, while we also got a modern Ray Palmer to fit with the current figures.  (Of course why DCD ever needed two scales in the first place is beyond me...)

I also voted for McG Hawkman because it was just a joke.  Not a funny joke, but a joke nonetheless.

Rounding out my fifth vote was Showcase Batgirl.  I wasn't too thrilled about DCD making another Batgirl in the first place, but like a sucker, I bought her, only for her to make Batman about as intimidating as Bat-Mite.

Report Spam   Logged
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:24 pm »

Only voted on a couple because i've rarely seen any of these in the flesh so to speak,most of the scale inconsistencies i see are pictures online.
I don't have many complete lines collected so generally scale isn't a biggie for me as the whole lines i do have generally do fit in with each other for the most part.
However,the Justice line's Poison Ivy was just way too big which was a disappointment to me as she just looks too out of place to sit in my collection so she went into my fodder box.May be useful for something someday.
Also Justice Cheetah was just too small for my liking and i really dislike the pre-posed look as well but that's a separate can of worms.
And the only other i can comment on from first hand experience was the Movie Master Begins Batman.How he can possibly be smaller than the Dark Knight Batman confounds me,but there you go.
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
SamB
Pegwarmer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:32:21 am »

For me the biggest failure has to be either the mattel sinestro or doomsday. These are two iconic characters which are excellent figures, but the scale inconsistencies force me to keep on display the rather lacking (but taller) DCD versions.
Another one that annoys me, but not as much is the movie masters. How cool would it be to be able to display every mattel batman figure together? But the scacle means that the MMs have to be put on a separate shelf. A waste of space and a shame for otherwise pretty much perfect figures.
Lastly, I recently bought a Robin/Penguin pack to complete my Long Halloween/DV collection. Robin's 5-year-old height sorta ruins what was a great couple of lines. I know this is because Sale drew him that way- but really it's not good if a Robin and a Batman can't stand next to each other without looking ridiculous.
My other choice was the DCD Justice series for pretty much the same reason as the MMs.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:34:12 am »

Thanks for contributing and Welcome Sam! You have a welcome thread too!  Smiley

Andy
Report Spam   Logged

highskull
Pegwarmer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 06:53:08 am »

Hey, pals. Here´s my top five:

DCUC Big Barda: ´cause big means BIG, and I´ve always loved Kirby´s vision of woman´s strength and potential.
DCSH Doomsday: Doomsday is way too big a word for that not-so-menace-looking figure.
DCD McG Hawkman: JuggerHawkman...
Marvel Legends/Select incompatibility: Why?! Do those guys actually sell action figures?
DCD Teen Titans Deathstroke I: Not bad for a teen Slade Wilson but...

Greetins from Spain.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 06:55:28 am »

Good choices mate - and welcome! Spain, eh? Glad to have you here! Please stick around and contribute.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Coffee Joe
Frakkin' Posting Legend!
Variant

QC: 28

Gods damn it!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »

DCD Justice Series  -- Because this is where the "new" scale really started to take hold, which then quickly became the "Ross Scale ONLY," which unfortunately did NOT include the previous Kingdom Come figures, which SHOULD have melded perfectly with these.

DCD Knightfall (Catwoman etc.) -- Because that bitch is HUGE.  I mean, just HUGE.  Nobody was in scale with ANYTHING, except maybe Tengu Batman, and who gave a good damn about hin?

Movie Masters Waves 1 & 2 Batman -- Really?  Two Batman figures in the same line aren't even in scale with each OTHER?  I would have thought that Bruce Wayne would have been past his growth spurts BEFORE he bought all of his bat-garb.

DCD JSA GA Atoms -- Do I really have to tell you why?  Seriously?  These MAY be in scale with the Total Justice figures, but that's about it.  CERTAINLY not the 6 and 7 inch figures that DCD puts out.  Fail, fail, failey fail fail.

DCD COIE Batman -- This was supposed to be my dream figure.  YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE CHOSEN ONE!  Instead, we get a Batman that's in scale with JUSTICE, and probably a little too big for Knightfall, who does NOT fit in with just about EVERY OTHER ACTION FIGURE I OWN.  Pity, too, because he's such a beautiful piece of sculpture.  Maybe I'll paint him bronze and use him as a memorial statue or something.
Report Spam   Logged
Toy Guy
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:32 pm »

Why are there DCD figures listed?

that is so wierd that you would have them listed!

Georg has made it quite clear, there is no scale issue, and if there was, he was sure it wasn't an issue and it was dealt with YEARS ago .... so whats with the DCD figures being listed! Honestly, you fans are toxic... TOXIC!

Bah!

Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth