Action Figure Blues Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:53:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How to - Custom "Think Tank"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to - Custom "Think Tank"  (Read 23381 times)
FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:04 am »

Welcome to the Action Figure Blues "How to - Custom Think Tank" thread. The purpose of this thread is to try and take the knowledge our forum members have regarding the above topic and share it with others.

The index below will be added to over time as different suggestions and ideas, etc become available. Feel free to add to the thread, but then please contact the moderators for details and they will ensure your idea gets added to the index too.

Thought we should have a Thread where we could help each other with suggestions and advice on how to achieve that certain effect in a Custom. Ask your questions here and maybe we can help each other out.

INDEX - Custom "Think Tank"

PAGE # - TOPIC

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:47:25 pm by fishmilkshake » Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:40 am »

I'll go first,i need ideas for a stretchable Cape.Basically this cape is affixed to the Body from shoulders to knees and out to the Wrists.It stretches out as the arms are raised for flight purposes.It's black so at least that part's easy and i unfortunately don't have any sort of decent piccie reference.
So whaddayathink?

Report Spam   Logged

JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 136

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sumbitch.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:48:25 am »

Well did you could use craft foam like my Batros. I used fabric for my Black Condor way back cause he had the same issue.
Report Spam   Logged

Trend is the Death of the Individual

AQ71
Chase Figure

QC: 32

King of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:23:17 am »

I think the craft foam idea is a good one. 
The other thing that would be a possibility is to use nylon(tent material). You'd need to hem the edges to prevent fraying and  could use rit dye to get the correct color.  Just a thought, I haven't tried it yet, but it is something I've been thinking about trying.
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:52 pm »

Nylon sounds like a good idea, it will have a more natural flow to it, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:14:29 pm »

Is there some way you could get a glue on fabric that retains the flexibility?

Great thread idea, FB.

I have a question re paint apps:

I want to try doing a "white" Silver Surfer, as we was always drawn white back in the Buscema days, and was referred to as white in practically the whole run (white-faced freak, etc). Obviously, a simple white paint job isn't going to do the job. I was thinking about a translucent white spray over a silver base, but then I realised what I wanted: The pearly white finish that the DCD New Gods Lightray has.

Any ideas how to achieve that?
Report Spam   Logged
JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »

There's a metallic pearl white paint put out by Folk Art. I could probably send you a bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

NiteOwl
Administrator
Online Exclusive

QC: 218

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:42:40 am »

I have also seen customizer's use large latex party balloons.
Report Spam   Logged
JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:47:21 am »

Okay guys. I need a base idea. I bought the parts to make the entire cast from the show Firefly from MikeS. Except for Jayne. Now I'm using Dr. Who figures and don't really know how well they compare to other lines being I don't own any. I do know they're 5 inch figures. Now Jayne was pretty big. So do you think a 6" figure would work and if so who? I have his head already; so I'm just looking for an appropriate body.

Pics of him can be seen here. Thanks.  Smiley
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0003807/
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:15:43 am »

Ohhh activity,questions and answers.I like it!

Good ideas on the Cape guys, i really want it to contract rather than fold up when you lower the arms.I'm being really fussy on something that i have next to no reference for i know.I was thinking maybe Lycra but i hate how daggy the edges get when you use material on figs.Don't know myself the way to tidy up those edges without stitching which would ruin the whole effect.

Dozy,Jack has the right idea.Those metallic pearl paints really do achieve the kind of finish i think you are after.Also have a look at the R/C Hobby Paints,i'm sure there's something similar there.And then you can spray it on too if you like.

Jack,i had 2 figs jump straight to mind.One would be the Stargate Jack O Neill figure in the t-shirt.Wears the same style of military pants as Jayne has which would save an effort.He was series 3 i think in the desert camouflage colours.
My second thought was the Balthazar figure from charmed series 1 figures.Bigger than 5" but not a huge 6" and his Jacket and pants could be easily made to work for Jayne.I think i have one of them floating around too if you want it.
And may i say as a HUGELY MASSIVE,NAY MILDLY OBSESSED Firefly fan i'm very excited to see you tackle these.Can't wait!
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 05:19:16 am »

I have also seen customizer's use large latex party balloons.

Okay, I need to see an example of that!
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:03:54 pm »

There's a metallic pearl white paint put out by Folk Art. I could probably send you a bottle.

Is that this one? http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=1663

It doesn't look like it's easy to find here, so you sending it sounds like a great idea!

Also have a look at the R/C Hobby Paints,i'm sure there's something similar there.And then you can spray it on too if you like.

That's where I got the idea of spraying a translucent white over silver, though I'm not sure it will be as good at the metallic pearl finish. There's an R/C shop just over in Leichhardt that I might check out to see if they can show me some examples or give me some ideas.
Report Spam   Logged
dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:08:13 pm »

Actually, there's a shop in WA here that looks like it has that paint, so might check that out first.
Report Spam   Logged
JackKnight
Advisor
Online Exclusive

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »

Yep. That's the one. Though I believe mine's indoor paint. lmk if you can't find it.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 07:23:30 am »

Any better ideas for a Jayne yet Jack?I been trying to think of more for you,is there anything in the TDK Movie line that might do it.Wasn't there a Deadshot released?he might be ok.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure