Action Figure Blues Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:59:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you following AFB on Twitter? Go here to follow now! http://twitter.com/afblues

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Store Classifieds Downloads Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

AFB TALKBACK: History of the DCU: Wave Two now up!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFB TALKBACK: History of the DCU: Wave Two now up!  (Read 2068 times)
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 342

Base of Operations: Melbourne, Australia

The artist formerly known as "Andy"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:36:03 am »

Got my set today. Pics up at Facebook now - post coming!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95156&id=42281071218&saved#/album.php?aid=95156&id=42281071218
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:14:25 am by Andy » Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

QC: 149

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:43:08 am »

Noice,me likeee!
Report Spam   Logged

"They have yet to build a Political Correction Facility that can hold me!"
Freak Studio
Advisor
Online Exclusive

QC: 188

"The Avenging Blue Idiot"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:54:07 am »

That Batman pic seems pretty On scale with DCD, Andy can you make a comparative pic with Blue Devil?

Perhaps with some figure I have like JLI Batman or Justice Red Tornado (Trying to think ones you have too), so I can get an idea of the size.

Thanks, mate.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:07:07 am by Freak Studio » Report Spam   Logged
fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:13:51 pm »

Blue Devil looks kinda small?
Report Spam   Logged

Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »

There's a standard buck for this line so he does look small amongst the others. However the buck is on the bigger side so he would look about right in a JLA / JLE display.

Apparently Brewer said they are up to wave 6 / wave 7 in their planning, so it looks like DCD is really committing to this line, which they need to do. Frankly in terms of what's been revealed I think DCD didn't do too badly against Mattel. They gave us alot of surprises whereas we basically already knew Waves 10 & 11 and the Public Enemies line blows IMHO. Wonder if they'll reveal Wave 12 before the con is out?
Report Spam   Logged

"Tuna is never a surprise, it's always like someone took a dump on your plate." - Westy

"Nice one guys. This thread was about me.....and my sublime port.....and you made it about Andy's shitty arse in less than half a dozen posts." - fishmilkshake
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:14:06 am »

Well, I never did get around to doing a review for Wave One, but Wave Two is now up!

http://www.actionfigureblues.com/2009/09/you-think-they-could-have-thrown-in.html
Report Spam   Logged

dozymuppet
Administrator
Unreleased Prototype

QC: 161

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:42 am »

What a travesty this line is so far. I've only got Black Lightning. He looks great, but getting a straight backed pose is impossible.

At least Aquaman has nice hair...

I really hope they sort out some of this stuff by the time they get to Martian Manhunter and Captain Atom. Please.
Report Spam   Logged
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:24:24 am »

Like I say in the blog, to go to all the effort of creating a new buck and not get it right is SO DCD. No ankle articulation?? Argh.
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:33:54 am »

Nice work mate and appreciate all your critiques.I commented that all their arms look so long,don't know if that's the photo angle or not.I had a play around with the Wave 1 figs at my friends place when i was in the U.S and their arms seemed in proportion and they all stood independently.
I really can't decide whether i want these or not which is odd,can't quite put my finger on what's holding me back.Maybe a combo of no Females yet[that old chestnut Undecided]and a choice of Bucks.
Report Spam   Logged

bmac10
Pegwarmer

QC: 13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:44 am »

DCD really dropped the ball with this series IMO.  As we all know, this line was created to try to capture a little of Mattel's thunder, but the problem is DCD went about it all wrong.  Those bucks are terrible.  I know it's common for companies to reuse bucks to save money (I know, Mattel does in DCUC), but this is a bad buck to reuse over and over.  Something about seeing that buck on every figure for 2 waves just doesn't look right.  When I see the figures lined up together it just looks so weird, like they didn't do anything at all to distinguish each of them.  So there they are with generic, roided-out bucks, and they just look like repaints of the same prototype.  With that said, I'll probably pick up Blue Devil, Black Lightning, Creeper, and Flash eventually.  I've always wanted a Blue Devil and a Creeper, so while they may not be exactly how I'd like them, I still want to add them to my collection.  I'm excited we finally get a Black Lightning in his throwback costume, and I've been on a Flash kick lately so that's why I'll probably be picking him up.  Does anyone else think that these bucks look kinda McGuinnes style?
Report Spam   Logged
bigraj
Advisor
Space Monkey in a Bag

QC: 192

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:12:50 pm »

Wrote in the blog comments that I'd take some comparison shots with DCUC figures.  Figured this would be the best place for them:

Report Spam   Logged

I drink, and I know things.

PSN Gamertag:  bigraj70501
Scotty
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:16:50 pm »

Interesting. They don't compare as badly as I thought they might.

Thanks bigraj!
Report Spam   Logged

FB
JLU Hal Jordan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 05:48:26 am »

Yeah,closer than i would have expected too.Nice one Raj.
Report Spam   Logged

fishmilkshake
Pants optional
Administrator
SDCC Anti-Monitor

QC: 733

Base of Operations: Canberra, Australia

AFB Podcast's Ben

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:15:49 pm »

Great review Andy and sweet pics Raj.

I think the body overall is a better sculpt than the DCUC buck (whose shoulders are way too big). But FB is right with the arms being too long. As an example, stand up straight, make a fist then bring your arm alongside your body and then compare. But BMAC nailed it in that the buck will get old fast. Personally I'll try and pick up a couple of 'simple' figures like Flash for Marvel Legends conversions.
Report Spam   Logged

bmac10
Pegwarmer

QC: 13

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:48:29 pm »

I broke down and picked up the Black Lightning.  I have to say that he is a really great figure.  I was actually pretty surprised by just how good he looks.  It's great to have a classic BL in the collection.  Flash looked a bit off to me, at least in-package.  I can't pinpoint it, but something just wasn't right about him.  Aquaman is another easy pass for me.  The goofy grin and the no-scales look is just strange.  Odd choice by DCD, especially on the grin since none of the other characters have that in the line (I guess Blue Devil kinda does).  I thought the Creeper looked great.  I would have picked him up, but the LCS only had one, and his nick was broken (his head was literally almost falling off).  The funny thing was that the package was in great shape so it must have happened at the factory.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AFB Scum and Villainy custom comp

Visit the AFB Blog!

Starman's Toys I Grew Up With

Back to the Comics Podcast

General-Marvel Collectibles

Entertainment Earth

Batgirl DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure